SURFEX v8.0 interface with OASIS3-MCT to couple atmosphere with hydrology, ocean, waves and sea-ice models, from coastal to global scales
- 1Centre National de Recherches Météorologiques, CNRM, Météo-France/CNRS UMR3589, Toulouse, France
- 2Laboratoire d'Océanographie Physique et Spatiale, LOPS, CNRS UMR6523/Ifremer/IRD/UBO, Brest, France
- 3Laboratoire d'Aérologie, LA, CNRS UMR5560/Université de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
- 4Laboratoire de l'Atmosphère et des Cyclones, LACy, CNRS UMR8105/Université de la Réunion/Météo-France, Saint Denis de la Réunion, France
- 5CECI, Université de Toulouse, CNRS UMR5318, CERFACS, Toulouse, France
Abstract. This study presents the principles of the new coupling interface based on the SURFEX multi-surface model and the OASIS3-MCT coupler. As SURFEX can be plugged into several atmospheric models, it can be used in a wide range of applications, from global and regional coupled climate systems to high-resolution numerical weather prediction systems or very fine-scale models dedicated to process studies. The objective of this development is to build and share a common structure for the atmosphere–surface coupling of all these applications, involving on the one hand atmospheric models and on the other hand ocean, ice, hydrology, and wave models. The numerical and physical principles of SURFEX interface between the different component models are described, and the different coupled systems in which the SURFEX OASIS3-MCT-based coupling interface is already implemented are presented.