Pliocene Model Intercomparison Project (PlioMIP): experimental design and boundary conditions (Experiment 2)
- 1School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
- 2Eastern Geology and Paleoclimate Science Center, U.S. Geological Survey, MS926A, 12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston, VA 20192, USA
- 3School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol, University Road, Bristol, BS8 1SS, UK
- 4CCR, CGD/NCAR, P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000, USA
- 5Center for Climate Systems Research, Columbia University, 2880 Broadway, New York, NY, 10025, USA
- 6NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, New York, NY, USA
Abstract. The Palaeoclimate Modelling Intercomparison Project has expanded to include a model intercomparison for the mid-Pliocene warm period (3.29 to 2.97 million yr ago). This project is referred to as PlioMIP (the Pliocene Model Intercomparison Project). Two experiments have been agreed upon and together compose the initial phase of PlioMIP. The first (Experiment 1) is being performed with atmosphere-only climate models. The second (Experiment 2) utilises fully coupled ocean-atmosphere climate models. Following on from the publication of the experimental design and boundary conditions for Experiment 1 in Geoscientific Model Development, this paper provides the necessary description of differences and/or additions to the experimental design for Experiment 2.